The next time you’re at the office supply store picking up something super boring like more printer paper, I suggest you take a detour to the sticker aisle and make an impulse buy. Why? For a very small amount of dollars you can make everyone’s day, including your own, at least 10x more awesome.
My most recent impulse buy was… you guessed it… dinosaur stickers. I guess I’m still embittered by the fact that I didn’t get any dino toys when I was little—let that be a lesson in the long term effects of non gender-neutral toys.
Before confirming my dino purchase I ran the stickers through a couple of ValTests that I like to apply to new objects before allowing them into my life:
1. Does it bring me at least the-amount-it-costs worth of enjoyment?
2. Does it take care of me or require that I take care of it?
1. Yes, these sweet dinosaur stickers will definitely bring me at least $2.50 worth of enjoyment.
2. I just have to keep the stickers from getting rained on. I can handle this.
Where have I gotten to unleash my dino stickers?
My favorite coffee shops, a random house party, a (first) date (bold move if I do say so myself). And that’s just so far—I still have lots of sticker sheets left and I’ve been sick all week so my sticker distribution capacity has yet to be realized. I did not scientifically record the number of smiles and laughs in anticipation of this post, but let me assure you there have been many.
What have I learned?
- Stickers know no age boundaries. Young and old alike love stickers with equal enthusiasm.
- No one (who is worth your time) says no to a dinosaur sticker, ever.
- Stickers make everything better.
I know you people like use cases so here are some:
- Promotion? Dinosaur stickers.
- Just got fired? Dinosaur stickers.
- Nice to meet you? Dinosaur stickers.
- Thanks for my delicious coffee? Dinosaur stickers.
- No reason at all? Dinosaur stickers.
The point is, a sticker is a tiny but unexpected gesture that can brighten a moment or a whole day. The secret is not in the size of the gift but the surprise. Now go get yourself some stickers.